Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Day Three: Pumps and Progress

Today is my third full day in the hospital, and for the first time in all 4 of my visits, no one has spoken a word about going home. Not that I'm anxious to go home, but it's just weird to think I may be here for the long haul. Last night I had another scary incident of pressure and contractions, so I received more Terbutaline injections, which helped a lot. After last night's episode, my doctor and perinatologist decided the Procardia I was on to help ease contractions was just not doing it's job. So I am now on a Terbutaline "pump." the T-pump is essentially a small, portable IV catheter that provides continuous meds. It is put into my thigh, and I don't feel a thing. I am really happy (so far) with the T-pump because I'm not experiencing the roller coaster of symptoms I was with the Procardia. No more waiting to take meds and hoping I don't contract before they kick in. But, I've only had this gadget for about 8 hours, so it'll be a couple of days before we really know if it's effective.

My doctor also put me on an anti-anxiety medication called Adovan. The last thing I wanted was another drug, but I know the stress I am experiencing is most likely making things worse. So my doctor was happy to give me the Adovan and said most high-risk patients need it at some point.

Stefan and I have started celebrating our daily milestones each morning on the phone. "We made it another day!" we exclaim, and then we hope for another. My OB said this morning that our new goal is 34 weeks. Of course, we will hope for longer, but our goal is 34 glorious, healthy weeks. 34 is only 3 1/2 weeks from where I am now, so I am hopeful. We can do it, baby boy! But there are never any guarantees, and we're still celebrating each day as a mini milestone. Day by day.

The baby has been active again today and has several bouts of the hiccups. The hiccups are good, as they are a result of practice breathing, which the baby has been doing for weeks now. I go for my next ultrasound Friday morning.

This afternoon, the hospital's "music therapist" came by and played some relaxing music for me and the baby. Although I found it ti be a bit odd at first, the music she played was incredibly relaxing and helped distract my thoughts for a few minutes. It also broke up the monotony of the day.

And as the highlight of my day, Stefan and Ava came by for a visit this evening. She did the funniest thing while she was here: she found a pack of cleansing wipes I have in my suitcase, took them to Stefan and said, "For poo-poo!" We both about laughed ourselves to death. We also read to Ava a new book we got for her called "I'm a Big Sister!" We're trying to get her ready for the tremendous changes our family is about to experience once the baby arrives and comes home. As if her world hasn't been rocked enough recently...

All-in-all, a good day. But I did still cry at dinnertime. Like clockwork. Thanks SO VERY, VERY MUCH to all of those who are praying for us! We appreciate it and know God hears you.

4 comments:

tracy said...

That anti anxiety med worked wonders for my clients, and I so hope it does the same for you. Anything to lessen the weight of everything and have things run more smoothly! Just a note of warning: On Ativan, some of my seniors took up wandering the halls naked, so keep a gown on! :)

What instrument was the music therapist playing? I can understand how it would be odd at first. Like, Where do I look? Should I smile? What if she is terrible and I grimace?
I am glad it helped a little bit.

And, if they cooked like YOU, you wouldn't cry. Perhaps I could make some shrimp romaine and ship it to you, but I can't guarantee it would still be hot upon arrival. Or edible.

Thinking of you tons!

Liz said...

Hey I don’t know if you remember me but we met a few times through Tracy. She filled me in a little of what you have been going through. I spent some time last night reading over your past posts. I just wanted to tell you how incredibly strong I think you are. You are doing such a good job listening to that “inner voice” and helping your baby stay in your tummy just a while longer. I admire you in so many ways. Your babies are very lucky to have you as their mom. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. (If you are bored, feel free to check out my silly blog :)

Michelle said...

Keep hanging in there! We are thinking of you and now that I have found your blog, I can keep up more often instead of harrassing yoru sister with the details.
We will pray for you and the little one!

The Hamilton Family said...

Hey, I am thinking of you. Keep your chin up, I know it is tough when you are so stressed but it will all be worth it in the long run. A healthy, beautiful baby boy will put a smile on your face and Ava will just love him too.