Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Obama Wins


All of the Blums were fast asleep by the time our nation announced its new president-elect. I tried to stay awake but couldn't keep my eyes open. And given the fact that I have been struggling to sleep at all recently, I decided to give up and just find out this morning. I think the last thing I remember was the NBC crew putting a vinyl overlay in the color of blue over the state of Ohio.

Unfortunately, I was unable to cast my ballot this year. I was so looking forward to voting in such a critical and pivotal election, but bed rest came on hard and fast, and by the time I learned I was confined to my sofa, it was too late to request an absentee ballot. I watched all of the debates, followed each campaign, and weighed all of the issues. I am not a republican or a democrat or an independent. I vote the issues on each election day, and that's something I take pride in. I was very sad not to have the ability to go to the polls, but if I really want to make a difference, I know there is so much more I can do.

I think that regardless of who won last night, the fight ahead remains the same. Americans can't depend on one person to bring our country back to life. And we won't be successful if we continually separate ourselves as republicans or democrats. We must come together as Americans.

Thanks to everyone who voted yesterday. What an amazing right we possess.

No comments: