Friday, December 26, 2008

Ian's First Doctor's Visit

Ian had his first visit with the doctor this morning at 4 days old. He is continuing to do very well, and his weight was 5 pounds, 1 ounce, which is the same weight he was when we were discharged from the hospital. After losing only one ounce since birth, the doctor said it looks like his weight has stabilized and we should start to see a gain from here on out. Great news for our little guy! His umbilical cord and circumcision are healing well and on schedule, and he is not showing any signs of jaundice. All good things! His next appointment is at the 2-week mark, and until then, we just keep on doing what we're doing. I am most happy with his minimal weight loss, which is proof-positive that the nursing is going well.

I continue to get very little sleep, as the nursing is very taxing and time consuming. It is working for now because I have Stefan home to help with Ava and household chores, like washing dishes and laundry. The real test will come when he heads back to work. If I collapse under the strains of breastfeeding while trying to care for two children and maintain a home, I will switch to formula without hesitation. I think I am averaging about 4-5 hours of sleep a day, with my longest stretch being a two-hour nap during the afternoon when Ava is napping and the baby is sleeping.

I still can't believe the baby is here. Just this afternoon, I walked into our guest bedroom, where my contraction monitor and terbutaline pump still sit, completely idle. I saw them and it was a very strange feeling. Ava continues to be an absolute angel around the baby. She says hi, bye-bye and night-night to the baby, and when she touches him, she gently strokes him. I know the downfall is coming, but for now, we are enjoying the honeymoon period.

1 comment:

tracy said...

Wow, you are home and a mom of two now!

The lack of sleep and breastfeeding cycle IS really difficult. I would sleep when Zoe would sleep, but never really fall to sleep right away following a feeding time. Usually I would sleep really light or wake up just before she would and lie there in waiting for her to alert me for another "meal". Annoying.

You mentioned in a previous post that you were a new mom again, with everything starting over now, and different as you are at home now with him from the getgo.
Do you realize what that means for ME? Oh dear! :)