Sunday, December 14, 2008

35 Weeks!

35 weeks and 1 day.

35 is my new favorite number. And if baby and I can make it another 6 days, 36 will be my new, new favorite number. The baby's suck-swallow reflex should be mature by now, and his lungs are continuing to get stronger. By this week, the books say he should be around 6 pounds and 21 inches long. I'm not sure he's quite that big, but if he's over 5 pounds at this point I'm happy.

I am feeling fantastic - fewer contractions, less cramping, bigger appetite, improved state of mind. Ever since my doctor told me I could begin easing myself off of bed rest, I have been feeling so much better all around. The baby has been very active, but I'm not sure he's turned down. And as much as the nesting instinct has kicked in, I think I've done a good job of controlling myself and limiting my activity. I've helped put up a few Christmas decorations, and I helped Stefan clean up the playroom last night. Otherwise, I've been sitting or laying on the couch. It's also been nice eating meals at the table with the family.

Christmas is just 11 days away, and this morning I asked Stefan if he thought the baby would arrive before or after Christmas. He said before, and although there isn't much time between now and Christmas day, I can't help but agree with him. I suspect we will darken the hospital's doorstep within hours of being taken off the progesterone and terbutaline, which could be this week. Those two drugs are the only things keeping me together at this point, but we'll see.

We have been reading to Ava a book about becoming a big sister, and every time Stefan or I mentions the word "baby," Ava pats her belly. We ask her where mommy's baby is, and she pats my belly.

The nursery is almost complete, thanks to Stefan, my sister and Bo. We still need to hang the quilt over the crib and sterilize some bottles and pacifiers. I also have some curtains that match the bedding, but I'm not sure if I'm going to hang them. I'd like to, but between rods and valances and everything else, I'm just intimidated by the whole window treatment process. I love the nursery. It's simple, cozy and well-stocked. We're ready for baby, but we prefer he stay tucked inside for at least another week or two.

1 comment:

LoriLoo310 said...

I am so happy and excited for you to have made it this far. What a wonderful blessing from God! Keep up that eating so that little boy can gain some weight (luckily it's the right time of year for all the good food). If your book is right, that means your little boy is only one pound less than Nathan was past full term. WONDERFUL! I still continue to pray for you.