Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Recipe of the Week: Spaghetti Casserole

Because I enjoy cooking, I thought I would use this blog to share my passion with those who read it. But because I am a new mom of two, my definition of "cooking" has changed drastically during these past two months. I can't afford to be in the kitchen for hours on end, preparing homemade French Onion Soup or my famous 5-Hour Gumbo from scratch. These days, it's all about getting dinner on the table quickly. My good friend Mandy also got me hooked on freezing meals, too, so that dinner is especially easy on those days when it's 5 p.m. and I have yet to get out of my pajamas. As recipes become staples in our home, I'll share them with you, because they are quick, easy and yummy. This week, it's Spaghetti Casserole, from The Dinner Doctor by Anne Byrn. This cookbook has become my right hand in the kitchen. If you're looking for a new cookbook, this one is a dandy! This meal freezes well, so if you make a batch, make double and freeze one so that you have it ready for next time. I serve it with a green salad and freshly baked breadsticks a la Pilsbury. Enjoy!

1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 lb Ground Beef
1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
1 can (10.75 oz) cream of mushroom soup
1 1/2 cups of your favorite tomato based pasta sauce
1 cup shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
4 Cups Cooked Spaghetti (8 oz uncooked)
2 Tablespoons Shredded Parmesan Cheese

Preheat the oven to 400 F

Place the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Crumble in the ground beef and add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring and breaking up the lumps of meat, until the beef is brown all over and cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and transfer the beef to a large mixing bowl. (If there is a lot of fat in the pan, drain the mixture in a strainer before transferring it). Add the soup, pasta sauce, 1/2 of the Cheddar Cheese, the cooked spaghetti, and 1/2 cup of water and stir to mix. Transfer the spaghetti to a 3 quart baking dish and sprinkle all but 1 tablespoon of the remaining Cheddar Cheese and 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan over the top.

Bake the spaghetti until it bubbles throughout and the cheese has melted, 18 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of each cheese and serve at once.

Serves 8

2 comments:

Bonnie Jackson said...

Surely if you have enough time to blog about your favorite meal of the week, you aren't doing too terrible. Thanks for the recipe...I'll be maing one for my freezer. Bo and I are going to be so tired of pasta after this baby gets here.

Lisa Sanders said...

Thanks Jackie! The crockpot has become my best friend since Caroline has made her arrival!