Thursday, February 26, 2009

A Perfect 10 (Pounds, that is)

Ian's two-month well-child appointment was this morning, and it went very, very well! Our little man is up to 10 pounds, 5 ounces, which means he gained 5 pounds in 6 weeks. He doubled his weight! Now I understand the perpetual feedings! I was thrilled to see the number on the scale, and equally as thrilled to learn he's also grown 3 whole inches in 6 weeks! Ian is now 22.5 inches long and shows no signs of slowing down any time soon. Grow boy, grow!

Not everything was fun and games, however, as our poor boy also got five - yes, FIVE - pokes to the thigh and one oral "cocktail," all for vaccination purposes. He tolerated them well, only crying for a mere moment after they were administered. He received two circular Tweety Bird band aids (or "boo-boos," as Ava calls them) and lots of kisses from poor, suffering mommy. I think I was more affected by the shots than Ian!

I also discussed Ian's rapidly progressing reflux/gas issues with the pediatrician. Several treatment options were mentioned, from medication (Zantac) to switching to a soy-based formula. She recommended trying the Zantac first, and if that isn't good enough, switch the formula. Ava was also on an antacid until she was nine months old, so here we go again. But I'm happy to do anything to help Ian feel better as soon as possible. Feedings are reaching the 45 minute mark, and not only are they lengthy, they're also very painful. At the doctor's office, I had to feed Ian before going inside. I fed him in the front seat, and after about 10 minutes, a car pulled into the space in front of mine and the mom in the car began feeding her baby boy, too. Our eyes met briefly, and we smiled at each other with that "so-this-is-what-our-lives-have-become-now" look. She began feeding her baby, and 15 minutes later, she burped him, put him back in his car seat, and took him into the office. Just like that. Fifteen minutes, a burp and done. What?!?! Meanwhile, I am still fighting Ian to drink the rest of his bottle and keep it down. It's a fight I lost badly, and I got so frustrated. So I'm hoping the Zantac helps, at least a little bit. Poor Ava just doesn't understand why feeding baby brother takes so long and why I need to hold him all the time. Please Zantac, work.

But other than the reflux and gas, we have no complaints. Ian is healthy, thriving and developing right on schedule. Praise God for a healthy baby boy!

2 comments:

sarah b. said...

Wonderful news!!

Liz said...

I hope feedings get easier for you. With Logan I had to burp and pump his legs (bend his legs towards his chest as you push down a little) before I fed him. This allowed the gas & air to get out before he ate. With Cameron, Zantac was the key. Good Luck!