Sunday, August 2, 2009

Ava's Big-Girl Bed

Last night was Ava's first night in a big-girl bed. It could have and should have happened much sooner than this, but I had the hardest time making it happen. Not because I was sad to see my baby reach another big-girl milestone. But because I have been totally incompetent at making decisions. New furniture or convert the crib to a full bed? Paint the walls or wait until we get new furniture? Themed room or just pretty bedding? Go all out or stick to the budget? White furniture or darker? The list was overwhelming (seriously, people, it doesn't take much these days to tip me over the edge). I just couldn't imagine spending thousands of dollars on children's furniture that will get beat up and outgrown. But on the other hand I really wanted to make a special place for her. I delayed and delayed until it hit me that I had better do something or send my daughter to college in a crib. Stefan assured me we could always do more later. So we converted the crib into the full bed it was designed to be converted into, and I took Ava shopping Friday night for her very first big-girl bedding. She was so excited in the store that she kept yelling, "Look, mommy, it's my big-girl bed!" I was finally getting excited, too, and I suddenly couldn't wait to get her in it.

While Ava watched a movie last evening, Stefan put her bed together and we set everything up. Ava walked upstairs and into her bedroom to find her brand-new bed. She was stoked. And I mean beyond elated. I gave her a bath, brushed her teeth and did our normal evening routine, but my little girl turned into a squirmy worm as the excitement to get into her new bed built. She didn't even want to sit through story time, which has to be one of her most favorite times of the day. She climbed into her bed and we tucked her in. I very sternly laid down the law about not getting up out of bed or jumping around. Beds are for sleeping after all, not for playing. She sweetly said "yes, mommy" to my demands. We sang our usual list of bedtime songs and kissed her goodnight. She was immediately quiet and I said under my breath, "That was too easy." We didn't hear a peep from Ava the rest of the evening. I tucked her in before going to bed myself and was shocked at how well this was turning out. I was so proud of Ava for listening and going to bed like the fabulous little angel she is.

The Before Pictures





At 1:30 a.m., I was awakened by her crying. I ran in to her room and found her drenched from head-to-toe in sweat... and throw-up! With the exception of baby spit-up, Ava has never, ever, ever thrown-up. Ever. Seriously, never. I had no idea what to do. I turned on a lamp and there was stuff everywhere. On her. Her pajamas. Her hair. The sheets. The comforter. Her stuffed bunny. Everywhere. So I cleaned her up, but by this time she was wide awake. Then I had to get her bedding and her bunny in the wash. I only had one set of sheets and one mattress pad because Kohl's was out of stock on additional sheet sets. So then Stefan had to set up her pack-n-play. By this time she was even more upset because I had to take her beloved bunny away to wash it, and there was no sleeping after that. She came into bed with us and I listened intently until the laundry was done. As soon as the dryer clicked off, I ran in, got bunny and put Ava in her pack-n-play. Ava didn't sleep much the rest of the night, waking up every hour or so, bless her little heart.

I think she was simply overheated in her new bed. Ava was never one to like a lot of blankets and pillows in her crib, etc., so I think she just got too hot with everything on her new bed. She napped really well today in her bed with no covers, so tonight we put her to bed with just the top sheet and we'll see how that works. So far, so good.

The After Picture

3 comments:

tracy said...

OMIGOSH... I was enthralled by the adorable story of the beautiful memory made of the two of you picking out her bedding, the excitement, the joy... the pic of her on her back is so fun!

And then oh so sad the throw up and such! The seemingly light layers of bedding tend to cook Zoe as well, especially on hot nights.

The other day I found her out of her Curious George jammies, in only her tinkerbell panties, feet on the pillows, head on her big stuffed dog at the foot of the bed, atop all covers, spread eagle like Jesus, enjoying the cool air coming from the air conditioning.

Like father, like daughter... sans the tinkerbell panties!

tracy said...

Completely unrelated, but right up your alley... take a look at a blog I follow on my page called REVERIE. (It is reverie-daydream.blogspot.com.)

Don't say I didn't warn you. Come to think of it, you will probably write me into your will for introducing it to you. :)

colleen said...

Ok I have to laugh at the irony of her getting her bed, you getting it all set up and then her barfing all over it. I'm sorry but it was kinda funny.

The first time Brandon really barfed was in the middle of the night too. I heard him crying uncontrollably and started to run across the house to him (it's unusual for him to cry like that at night) and we met about half way and as soon as I got to him he barfed down my shirt and his. It was all I could do not to gag myself from the overpowering stench. 1 minute earlier I was sleeping for crying out loud and it was an assault on my senses. And when we got to his room we found barf everywhere on his bed, sheets, quilt, etc. The best part of the whole situation though was that I bought 3 waterproof mattress pads the week before because we have two guest beds that our friends kids sleep on and they are prone to accidents. They were on sale so I go them. Thank goodness. Joby had questioned me on getting 3 just days before, like "do we really need that many now?" They were on sale. So yes. But... We went through all of them that night. ALL OF THEM. Then I had to resort to putting beach towels EVERYWHERE to protect the bed and floor. I ended up sleeping in his room on the floor and wow, that was bad on my nose. For sure.

I viewed the barfing as a right of passage. I had decided long ago that to truly be a mom you had to be pooped on, peed on and barfed on (not spit up). The barf completed my trifecta. :)