Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Hospital: Home Sweet Home, for A While

Ahhhhh, a computer. Haven't seen one of these in a few days. Email. Internet. A connection to the outside world. Wa-hoo!

I have been in and out of the hospital since Saturday, and it looks like I am going to be here for a few more days. We came in about 11 p.m. Saturday night because I wasn't feeling well and had some cramps and contractions. I stayed for a couple of nights to receive IV fluids and a truckload of antibiotics for 2 infections. I went home Monday evening and had one of the worst nights of my life. I didn't sleep a wink, had horrible cramps and a few contractions. To add to the pain, I was also super stressed out about whether I was just sick or if I was in labor. By 7 a.m., I was almost convinced that labor had started, so Stefan brought me back to the hospital where they told me I wasn't (thank you, God!). The ensuing ultrasound also showed that baby boy is still nestled safely inside. So why am I still here? Mostly as a precaution because of my history of preterm labor. Additionally, the doctors think the cramps and contractions are a result of the lovely buffet of drugs I am currently taking for infections, to suppress contractions and to maintain the pregnancy. So they want to see if my condition improves after the antibiotics have run their course. So here I am. It's the best place for me to be, although I hate being here. I must admit I am an emotional train wreck right now. I mean, not only am I pregnant, but I am on hormone supplements AND away from my family. Come to think of it, I'm surprised I'm keeping it together as much as I am! I keep repeating my motto to myself: "This is temporary. This, too shall pass." And it will.

Stefan and my sister and her family have truly come to the rescue. Once we found out I was going to be in the hospital for a little while, we agreed that the most important thing was to provide as normal of a life as possible for Ava. She still goes to Bonnie's every morning, but Stefan picks her up every afternoon and they spend evenings at home. It is SO HARD being away from them, but again, it's temporary. This whole experience has given me newfound appreciation for America's troops. They spend months, or even years(!), away from their children and spouses. I don't know how they do it, but it must be damn near impossible.

On a lighter note, my sister did bring me a birthday cake this morning, along with a very special visitor: Ava! It was a wonderful surprise. I also got Sex & the City the movie on DVD, so I know what I am going to be doing tonight! Thanks to everyone who called, posted a note on my Facebook page, and sent an email. They really brightened my day!

2 comments:

LoriLoo310 said...

Oh Jackie, I am so sorry you're having such a rough time. I've been praying for you.

And really, all you should need is the Sex and the City DVD right? I could watch that over and over again :)

Hope these next few weeks treat you better than this one did.

And BTW, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

tracy said...

Whoa! How quickly things can change around when we don't chat for a few days.

Oh, Jackie! I am so sorry you are in such a crazy predicament... the advantage is that you are in the best hands for whatever is up. You know we are praying for you and I am popping you on the prayer list asap!

And remember, heated hospital blankets are the BEST!