Sunday, May 10, 2009

My Mother's Day

This morning, I got both of my babies out of bed with kisses and a "thank you for making me a mommy."  Our day was filled with our normal schedule, and I thought about how much I love my job.  For a few minutes today, I rolled around on the floor with both Ava and Ian, tickling them, wrestling with them, zerberting their bellies and tickling their toes.  I relished in their giggles and squeals, laughing right along with them, and then I realized there is nothing better in the world than hearing your child laugh.

A year ago today, I found out I was pregnant with Ian.  I woke up early that morning and took a home pregnancy test, although I already knew the answer.  Ava lay sound asleep in her crib - just 17 months old - still dreaming away.  Stefan was in Florida for The Players Golf Tournament, and so it was just me and the pregnancy test.  When I took the test with Ava, I covered the stick and waited the prescribed three minutes for the test to develop.  I wanted to be surprised.  But with Ian's test, I sat there and watched it develop, knowing full well I was going to see that beautiful second pink line.  When it showed positive, I cupped my hands over my face and whispered "God Almighty!" about 40 times.  Ian wasn't planned, but I was beyond elated nonetheless.  On Mother's Day 2008, I became a mother of two.  And today, 2009, I played the day away with them.  I am overwhelmed by all of the goodness in my life.

I remember a time several years ago, when I was in college, that I actually thought about not having children.  I didn't think I would make a good mother.  But now that I have children, I don't know how I ever existed before them.  They are so much a part of me that I can't bear to imagine life without them.  They are my soul - walking around outside of my body - with precious faces, curious hands and eyes so deep you could get lost in them.  I'm so thankful God chose me as their mother.  They are the ultimate gift.  They make it Mother's Day 365 days a year.  I love you so very much, Ava & Ian!

1 comment:

Liz said...

Wow what a beautiful post! I actually teared up reading it. You are exactly right...how did we existed without our little ones? They keep us going don't they!