Wednesday, May 20, 2009

"Mommy! Huuuuug!"

Oh, the things my children do to wrap me further around their little fingers.  Lately, Ava's tactic has been hugs.  A while ago, she asked me for a hug, and after I composed myself from gushing over my daughter's sweetness, I gave her the biggest bear hug I could without squishing her and said, "Mommy will never, ever, say no to a hug from you!"  Ever since I said that, Ava has taken my words to heart and requests a hug any time she feels sad, lonely, hurt, scared, mad, embarrassed, or sick.  She'll come running to me, tears streaming down her face, yelling, "Mommy! Huuuuuug!"  She turns the word "hug" into an eight-syllable word.  Then she'll burrow deep into my legs until I squat down and wrap her in my arms.  Those moments are among my favorites when it comes to motherhood.

But recently, she's learned the fine art of manipulation because she'll ask for a hug when I am playing with Ian, feeding Ian or cooking dinner.  Basically, if I am doing anything other than paying attention to her.  I can just read her mind: "But mommy, you said you would never, ever, say no to a hug from me!"  I pity her future husband.

No comments: