Friday, April 24, 2009

Ian is Four Months Old!

Our little boy is growing and changing so fast!  At his four-month well-child doctor's visit yesterday, Ian tipped the scale at 12 pounds, 11 ounces, and measured 24.75 inches long.  He has caught up to full-term babies, although I must admit I was disappointed when the scale didn't even come close to the 15 pound mark.  With Ian's recent eating binges, I was certain we were going to see a larger gain.  Even my sister said he felt heavier than that.  But regardless of my silly expectations, the great news is that Ian is right on schedule with growth and ahead of schedule in terms of motor skills - a direct result of sleeping on his tummy for over a month now.  The doctor put Ian on his tummy to test his ability to pull up, and not only did Ian pull up, he creeped and scootched all the way to the other end of the table.  The doctor said, "Whoa, now there's one busy baby!"  I didn't confess to her that my boy sleeps on his tummy, but I'm sure she knew.  And unfortunately, Ian sustained four shots and an oral vaccination before we left for the day.  That's the worst thing ever for mommies to experience!

Ian has been giggling and squealing nonstop, and sometimes I can't get enough, so I keep tickling and playing to get more giggles out of him.  Then, of course, it backfires and I realize I pushed the envelope too far when he goes from giggling to crying in 1.2 seconds.  But it's worth it to hear those gut-busting laughs!  He holds his rattle and adores lights and music.  He's my little kickin' chicken - as I've nicknamed him - because when he plays, his legs go a mile a minute.  He sits with very little support for extended periods of time now and has fun playing with his toys.  And he still gets the biggest joys from watching big sister Ava play and run about.  He is mesmerized by her every move!  And the best part?  He's been sleeping through the night (7:45 p.m. to 7 a.m.) for a month now!

But we weren't able to escape this month without challenges.  Ian came into his fourth month like a lion, and I hope he'll go out like a lamb.  He hit a growth spurt a couple of weeks ago and has given us a run for our money ever since.  Fortunately, he still sleeps through the night, but until a few days ago, daytime naps were nonexistent.  He would cry for hours on end, and there were days when I wanted to scream.  But after making adjustments to both his schedule and his bottle, we seem to have reached a golden zone of great naps and solid nights.  Quick, someone knock on wood!  Enjoy these pictures I took on April 22nd, his official 4 month birthday.

Baby feet are irresistible.

Such a big boy!

I look just like my sister!


Me and my crooked smile.  (So cute!)


"Whoops!  I was bored, so I rolled over."

2 comments:

tracy said...

Wow, time has sure flown by! Ian is just beautiful and has such a sweet face... so advanced in the pulling up and rolling, too - way to go with that! Oh, how Zoe wishes she could play with he and Ava - we miss you all!

Liz said...

I love reading about your little one. It makes me excited for when Jace will be doing the same thing. Time does go quickly-I just wish we were at the point of sleeping more than 2-3 hrs at a time @ night. I'm starting to go into zombie mode :)